Premier Fishing and Brands Limited (Pty) Ltd is a predominantly commercial fishing, fish processing and marketing company. Its range of activities involves some 1000 permanent and seasonal staff, as well as factories, facilities and vessels operating in three provinces. The group has developed good relationships with its customers in Asia, Europe and the USA. Furthermore, it has built partnerships with small companies particularly in west coast rock lobster sector where it assists these companies with the catching and marketing of their fish. This is in line with the group’s fundamental principle of developing smaller black-owned companies as well as in investing into the communities within which it operates.
- Largest black owned and managed fishing company in South Africa, in existence since 1952.
- Niche Products, rock lobster, octopus, squid, abalone farm, pilchards, hake and environmentally friendly Agri-biotechnology products.
- Owns and manages a significant infrastructure and value chain through production facilities, fishing vessels, sales and marketing business with an international footprint, and an aquaculture farm operating nationally.
- Accreditations and memberships: South African Fishing Ethically (SAFE) association, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) , Hazard Analyses & Critical Control Points (HACCP) certified.
- Employs more than 750 employees.
- AEEI the majority shareholder of Premier Fishing & Brands recently received the following awards:
- Most empowered company – Empowerdex 2016
- Most empowered management – Empowerdex 2016
- Highest sustainability Transparency Index Score – financial services 2016
- Top 10 JSE listed company for financial performance – Financial Mail 2016
Key determinants & competitive advantages
- Is the largest exporter of squid and south coast rock lobster from South Africa
- Controls 60% of the South African South Coast Rock Lobster market which is exported to the USA
- Holds 17% of the total West Coast Rock Lobster in South Africa which is exported
- Holds 7% of the total Pilchards quota, the third largest allocated quota
- Consistent high quality products delivered to their customers
- Owns and controls top class production facilities nationally
- Trusted strong brands that have been developed over many decades
- An experienced and dynamic management team comprising of a broad array of qualifications and experience
- Significant growth over the past 5 years have been achieved organically
- An experienced and dynamic management team
- Above market returns to its stakeholders and especially its shareholders